POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very silly : Re: Very silly Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very silly
From: nemesis
Date: 29 Mar 2009 18:55:01
Message: <web.49cffc051757872e1f48a4bd0@news.povray.org>
> > Occasionally she asks me to come over to solve some issue, like when she
> > downloaded some photos from friends and they had been given an automatic
> > name too big for Gnome's file-manager to deal with:  it simply stopped
> > working and had to be closed.  My palliative solution:  rename them from
> > the command-line. My suggestion to her:  give a sensible name when
> > saving to disk.
>
> That's weird, because I haven't run into a naming issue (length-wise)
> with GNOME at all.  How long are the filenames?

I may be spelling it wrong, but I think it was something like
AEislkjkakljkasisbrewewolsuidzhoisah7682jhKjhkasjhiosubasaskfhbsaioasoisodnbsUIJjkajssuiIilklslalkjnsaewollAyehjhashsii
wwerYuygvskkjwesq.jpg
or something like that. :)

I don't remember if there were special characters in it, but I was able to use
autocomplete in bash and just mv it to a sane filename.  Gnome file manager
just froze and did not come back.  OTOH, it was a distro from 2007 though I
don't see any particular reason as to why even in 2007 very long names should
pose a problem.