POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting point/counterpoint on HLLs : Re: Interesting point/counterpoint on HLLs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting point/counterpoint on HLLs
From: clipka
Date: 28 Mar 2009 21:05:01
Message: <web.49cec89bbb0eba1822390e420@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Personally I hate C more than I hate Java. I wouldn't want to make any
> project, minuscule or large, in C.

Personally, there's not many languages I hate - because I like some challenge
now and then.

But from all languages I've ever seriously tried to write software in, C# felt
the most comfortable. All despite the fact that when I first had a look at it,
I was strongly biased against it. After all, what good could come from MS
except some new hype?

But then again, it's probably not just the language, but even more so the tools
I have at my disposal, and frankly there are not many languages for which I got
out of my way to get some full-fledged dedicated IDE (unless it came with the
language), so maybe I'm not doing justice to some of the languages out there.

Anyway: I guess what got me most in favor of C# is Visual Studio's code
refactoring support. Renaming methods, changing order of parameters, and
what-have-you - all just a few mouse clicks away. Including the reassuring
feeling that it doesn't break anything, because this thing is not just a pimped
brain-dead find & replace - this thing knows what it does.

I can't think of anything more valuable to software development than real good
refactoring tools. I guess if I had the choice, maybe I'd even go for it over a
debugger.

Ah, and by the way: I'd for sure rather work on a well-managed C project, than
on a badly managed Java one.