POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Difficulty with overlapping objects with media interiors : Re: Difficulty with overlapping objects with media interiors Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:57:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difficulty with overlapping objects with media interiors
From: Jim Hart
Date: 28 Mar 2009 15:00:01
Message: <web.49ce7335abe32fb28bc0fe280@news.povray.org>
> So in order to work around this issue, you must "mix" the media yourself in the
> overlapping area.
>
> You'll probably have to define your spheres without a material first, make a
> union of them, and then equip that union with as many media{} statements as you
> have spheres (make sure to translate each of them like you translated the
> corresponding sphere).

I was able to get close to what I needed by doing as you suggested. I will
continue to work on it, but here is a modified program that creates a glow
cylinder by creating and translating media interiors within the cylinder.
Thanks for the hint!!

 background { rgb 0 }
 camera { location <0,6,0>
          look_at 0
          //angle 35
          }
 light_source { <20,40,10>, 1 }

 box // floor
 { <-1.5,-1.01,-1.5>, <1.5,-1.2,1.5>
   pigment { checker rgb 0.75, rgb 0.25 scale 0.2 }
 }

#declare NumGlows = 10;
#declare Radius = 1;

#declare Rod = cylinder { <-1,0,0>, <1,0,0> Radius
   pigment { rgbft <1,1,1,0,1> }
  #declare i = 0;
  #while (i < NumGlows)
    hollow