POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very silly : Re: Very silly Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very silly
From: clipka
Date: 28 Mar 2009 00:25:01
Message: <web.49cda6431757872e208afb30@news.povray.org>
> Maybe you should try a distro that's been developed and released in the
> last 5 years.

I'm pretty sure someone experienced with tinkering around with Linux sees these
things differently, and possibly even rightly so.

But what I've seen so far, with a modern distro (Debian Etch... well, Lenny is
out now, but I guess Etch will still qualify as modern), is that it has
improved somewhat, but switching from Windows to Linux is probably still a
full-time job...

> Yeah, Vista is a dream.....if you like nightmares.

.... and so is probably switching from Windows XP to Windows Vista, for that
matter.

> Comparatively, on my openSUSE 11.0 boxes, I drop to a console and enter:
>
> zypper up -t package
>
> And the system is *current*.

Well, that's probably true for all the open source software coming with it, but
suppose you have a few commercial apps? I bet they won't respond to "zypper up
-t package". (And does "zypper up -t package" pull the latest POV beta? I bet
neither ;))

BTW, in XP, to get the OS *itself* up to date, I don't even hit a few keys to
start it. I just klick an "accept" button when it starts automatically.