POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very silly : Re: Very silly Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very silly
From: clipka
Date: 27 Mar 2009 22:40:01
Message: <web.49cd8c1d1757872e208afb30@news.povray.org>
"moppel" <mop### [at] tutututututude> wrote:
> Linux... Been there, done that. I used to be such a Linux freak. Until I got a
> job. Time became precious, and I didn't feel like configuring my system and
> reading Howtos for days and weeks just to get things running. Linux is nice for
> building servers for free, but as a desktop system, it sucked penguin balls. And
> I'm pretty sure it'll be like that forever.

Yeah. I do have a Linux system - but just as a secondary system to run POV on.
That, and nothing else. Didn't want to throw money at MS for another Windows
license, nor did I want to set up a few "render all this stuff, and I'll see
you later" scripts with Windows stuff. Let alone coming home after work and
finding that the machine has crashed on my 48-hour-render...

So for this purpose, it has proven the right decision. For anything other than
that, I wouldn't want it.

As you say: Time is precious, and I have enough other things to toy around with.