POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANN: 3.7 .inc file improvement project : Re: ANN: 3.7 .inc file improvement project Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: 3.7 .inc file improvement project
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2009 17:10:01
Message: <web.49cd3f92b8d33e5f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds-entropy    AT    hotmail   DOT  com> wrote:
> I have decided to fix/improve some of the standard include files that come
> with PovRay, and submit them to the POV Team for inclusion. The first on the
> list is metals.inc.
>
> The include files will be done one by one, starting with the texture
> includes.

Not concerning textures, but rather shapes.inc:  I came up with some
changes/fixes to the HF-generating macros there (some necessary, some of my own
choosing), which I posted...

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.48e0b5a74b96f64378dcad930%40news.povray.org%3E/

and

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.48f6d3aa220cdb3e78dcad930%40news.povray.org%3E/

The thing is, I'm not so sure how to proceed; my changes probably need vetting
by the POV team.  (They work great for me, no problems--but my code could
probably be improved by more astute programmers.  And some of my simple changes
*do* slow down the .inc file's execution...which could probably be fixed by some
better code.) And there are one or two needed fixes that I never got around to,
due to a lack of code knowledge on my part.

But all in all, I think my changes are good ones, and remove some buggy behavior
with hi-rez HFs. Consider my efforts to be a 'template' to be further improved.

Ken W.