POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Binary #write : Re: Feature Request: Binary #write Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Binary #write
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2009 17:50:01
Message: <web.49caa6346dca0b64c1f399840@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Looking forward to your DF3 integration!

Hey, for now it's just writing binary data, which *can* be used to generate
DF3...

> How about native import for DXF and OBJ files?  Maybe????  (That would be on my
> own wish-list.) I figure it shouldn't take you more than a couple of days...
> ;-)

Should be darn simple indeed (as far as OBJ goes), as long as it enforces
certain constraints (e.g. triangles only, or braindead automatic
triangulation). After all, the structure is strikingly close to the mesh2
object.

As a matter of fact, it's on my own wish-list as well.

Still, there are a few things to put some brains into:

- What SDL syntax?
- How do you handle materials?
- How about groups?

And then, someone would have to implement the whole smash... someone not
currently busy with radiosity speed and subsurface scattering, ideally... ;)