POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Binary #write : Re: Feature Request: Binary #write Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Binary #write
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Mar 2009 00:25:00
Message: <web.49c9b0de6dca0b64f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Sounds like another language feature better for POV-Ray 4 rather than
> > the current one.
> >
> >   In other words, rather hacking tons of tiny features on top of the old
> > SDL, it's better to design a new SDL which is so flexible that you can do
> > almost anything with it without the need to add core features.
>

> ...Plus, IMO there's nothing wrong with polishing up the 3.x SDL a bit
> either - if it's easy enough to implement. Which is definitely the case here.

Yes, I'd definitely like to see this feature as well.

I agree that it would be better (that is, 'useful more quickly') to integrate it
into 3.7 rather than 4--which is *somewhere* off in the somewhat-distant future.
IMO, the idea of waiting to integrate features into a 'bigger POV-Ray re-write'
is somewhat hamstringing the usefulness of the program in the here-and-now. (I
kind of feel that way about the 3.7 betas, vs. something like an intermediary
3.6.5 version that could have fixed a few smaller issues more quickly--but
that's a moot point, of course. No real complaints here.)

KW