POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : depth map? : depth map? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:52:21 EDT (-0400)
  depth map?
From: Sidney Cadot
Date: 23 Mar 2009 10:35:01
Message: <web.49c79d64a563150ecb94416e0@news.povray.org>
Dear all,

For a technical project I am doing concerning stereo reconstruction, it would be
helpful to be able to have access to the depth (z) coordinate of the directly
visible object at each pixel in the rendered image.

Ideally, I would have a file that gives (IMAGEHEIGHT x IMAGEWIDTH) floating
point numbers (IEEE-754 format), each giving the projected "z" value for the
corresponding pixel (or "infinity" if there is no object in the eye->pixel ray
path).

Has something like this perhaps been done before? If not, how difficult would it
be to add this myself (I am proficient in C, but I have never looked at the
source code of POV-Ray) ?

Best regards, Sidney