POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arrrgggh! : Re: Arrrgggh! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrrgggh!
From: clipka
Date: 19 Mar 2009 12:20:00
Message: <web.49c27029687c6b3af708085d0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Embedding the table is the best bet for keeping the formatting exactly as
> you intended, plus it keeps all formulas active so you can update later if
> needed without having to go back to the original Excel file, update, then
> copy & paste again.  Don't know how it works with multi-page tables though,
> my experience comes from copy&pasting from Excel into PowerPoint, not Word.

- I don't *want* the formulae in there, I want the plain values.

- Embedding the table opens up another can of worms: How, for instance, to get
rid of those column and row headers?

- Word is much more flexible when it comes to formatting, so I'd prefer to
define a table in Word and just throw in the data from Excel.

One would think that it would be a piece of cake... but no: You can insert the
whole smash as a new table; you can insert the whole smash into the existing
cells using the source format (or what Word makes of it); you can insert the
whole smash using the destination formatting - but then Word pastes it all in a
single cell (duh! That's what I call BS).

Why the Holy Moly doesn't MS seem to consider this a frequent enough use case to
make it possible somehow? You get all the fancy stuff in the dropdown list you
can pop up after inserting, but *this* one is not among them.

Ah well, I stopped bothering about the answer, and just shake my head instead...