POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.7 beta 30 Win64? : Re: POV-Ray 3.7 beta 30 Win64? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7 beta 30 Win64?
From: clipka
Date: 16 Mar 2009 10:25:00
Message: <web.49be610c2728d36389022530@news.povray.org>
"dkanter" <dka### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > If all you want is a consistent build, you might consider downloading
> > the source for the beta and building it yourself.
> I'm benchmarking a system and if I use some custom compiled results, not only
> does that add a lot of work to my plate (since I have no clue what condition
> the source code is in), but it also makes my results much more difficult to
> reproduce (and I'd need to install yet another set of tools on the test system).

- Nothing requires you to compile the whole smash on the target system.

- If using a "home-grown" build would make you somewhat uneasy regarding
reproducability of results, any non-official build should just the same.

- Regardless of the condition the code is in: Whoever does the compiling, the
effort stays the same. (Unless some of the development team does it; but if
they had the time and opportunity to do it, we'd already have a 64-bit binary
release.)

So maybe instead of asking others to compile a 64-bit version for you, you may
want to ask people whether someone already did it for themselves and might be
willing to share the build results.

Note however that, strictly speaking, POVs beta license terms *require* you to
build it yourself as long as there's no official binary, as they explicitly
disallow "home-brewn" binaries to be redistributed. Not that I'd personally
care in such a case, and exceptions could probably be granted by the POV team,
but this might help you understand why people may not be as constructive as
you'd like them to be.