POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another thought on Intelligent Design : Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design
From: gregjohn
Date: 14 Mar 2009 09:00:00
Message: <web.49bba971efae1425965ba01d0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:

> On a side note, recent research has shown that when "thinking about
> god", we do so in the same way that we would think about, "What would
> the neighbor do, if I took his news paper." I.e., we imagine what would
> would do as such a thing, and draw attributions from that. Which is of
> course, why gods never "reveal" to people things that contradict their
> own prejudices, tell them to do things they didn't one some level want
> to do, or otherwise add anything useful to the conversation. One might
> as well be watching someone employ the so called "solicited
> communication" method, by which people convince themselves that their
> own "helping" of an autistic child is "really the child", and not, as
> evidence shows, the parent/practitioner themselves expressing their own
> "knowledge" and understanding through the medium.
>
> In other words, the moment we went from general, "The other ape may
> steal my food.", to, "I would steal his food, so he is probably plotting
> to steal mine.", we "invented" god to fill in the gaps where the world
> acted against or for us, as an explanation for why things seemed to
> either go right, or wrong, for us. Call it, another nail in the coffin
> of the idea that design was involved from something else's side of the
> equation. ;)

Oh my, they've just scientifically proven  Hebrews 8:10!

Intelligent Design **is** loopy.  The Old Earth Creationists I subscribe to,
folks who look for religious inferences in the scientific observations around
us,  say that ID is loopy.

Back to your proof above. Philosophy will always find a way around scientific
data.  I once read about men's reactions to learning that men were
psychologically wired to be filled with lust at most of the women that passed
them by.
Some men said, "Hey, I'm WIRED this way!  Party!!" and used it as justification
to be promiscuous.
Other men said, "Oh, that's just my hormones! Whew! So I'm really not *more* in
love with that blond at that next table than I am with my own wife. I can
relax."

If you're biased against finding a god, you'll be able to come up with
philosophical ruses all day long.