POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : pigment from array : Re: pigment from array Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:37:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pigment from array
From: clipka
Date: 10 Mar 2009 17:20:00
Message: <web.49b6d969fdedc8549b9e69f90@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> Just thinking aloud really, but you might be able to get something like this
> by taking a transparent copy of the mesh scaled down in Y relative to its
> top extent and filled with fog-like media. This should give you thicker fog
> in the deeper and lower parts of the mesh and thinner fog over the ridges,
> but would follow the contours of your mesh. You could even translate a
> little in X or Z to give thicker fog on the leeward side of the hill.

Unfortunately that's not really what I need; these are nice twists to it that I
might pick up indeed (so thanks for them), but the basic idea doesn't work: The
fog would have uniform density with a "hard" boundary, which would look awfully
unrealistic; what I need instead is a density gradient, warped to follow the
height field.