POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface : Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface
From: Mike
Date: 7 Mar 2009 19:25:01
Message: <web.49b30f8b8416b8f9cb45af7a0@news.povray.org>
> Hmm, I wonder if this is related to the small strip of
> coincident surfaces at the sides of your overlap. I just
> made a small test using two copies of a transparent
> object as in
>
> #declare OBJ = sphere {y,1 pigment {color rgbt 1} interior {ior 1.5}}
> object {OBJ}
> object {OBJ}
> and the refraction of the background was wildly different when
> the second object was present (but not when the second object
> was scaled up a tiny fraction). Also funny thing: I did not
> observe this effect when the sphere was centered at 0.

Not sure if you did this with the merge command or without.  I tried it, without
the merge command I see nothing weird.  With the merge command I see really
weird effect.  I did not see the weird effects go away when I centered the
spheres around zero though.  You were right, scaling up one sphere a bit did
make it look correct, amazingly.  Translating it a bit did not fix the problem,
only scaling I guess.
Also, I was trying it with my test case of the two boxes overlapping a tiny bit;
I tried scaling one box, but in that case it did not fix the problem.  I still
see the weird line at the interface.  I guess it is a bit of a different
scenario in that only a small region is overlapping as opposed to the whole
object as with the spheres?