POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface : Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface
From: Mike
Date: 6 Mar 2009 22:05:00
Message: <web.49b1e38a8416b8f9cb45af7a0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> You have a gap between the two liquids, so even if they have the same refractive
> index, the air between them has not. That's where you get total reflections.

Yeah, this is what I did think, but even when I use the merge operator with a
tiny overlap instead of gap it does the same thing (and this I would not expect
with identical regions).  Maybe I am specifying the isosurface wrong? I have
posted images where I did that as well (different kind of lighting though):
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.49b1aa9624e2961fc9b9f9f00%40news.povray.org%3E/

Also, it seems that making an even thinner gap has no effect, which to me is
weird.  I would expect a very thin line maybe, but not one of the thickness
that is showing.  This is sort of a problem because it means I cannot
necessarily trust what I see if i have different liquids/object instead of the
same one.  Any ideas of what I can do? Maybe I am going about this all wrong?
If there was a way to make the background have a IOR of that of the liquid as
opposed to 1, that might work, but it would cause other problems.  Not to
mention I do not know if it is possible. I have a feeling the merge operator is
the way to go, but it still does weird effects (I still see an interface)?

-Mike