POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : The problem with GPU accelerated ray tracing : Re: The problem with GPU accelerated ray tracing Server Time
2 May 2024 14:33:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The problem with GPU accelerated ray tracing
From: triple r
Date: 4 Mar 2009 01:00:00
Message: <web.49ae1824700f280f63a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Simply put, every one of the requests we see for a GPU accelerated
> POV-Ray is a case of a solution looking for a problem.  Unfortunately,
> it's the wrong solution.  In that regard, it's more of a hammer looking
> for nails.

Are you sure you don't mean a screwdriver looking for nails?

I think it's often the case that performance is a convenient substitute for
content.  It seems to me that the payoff of improving algorithms and features
would be much greater than that of going for sheer performance.

> Once these conditions are met, *then* the idea will merit another
> consideration.  Until then, it's just a waste of time.

It's an interesting dilemma.  Just think of the huge amount of resources being
poured into developing codes for computers like Roadrunner, and the processors,
standards, and languages that will replace it in a couple years.  Of course this
is the only way to move forward, but I think I'll wait a few years before diving
into GPGPU.

 - Ricky