POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU usage : Re: GPU usage Server Time
14 May 2024 22:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU usage
From: clipka
Date: 3 Mar 2009 07:35:01
Message: <web.49ad231cdc9638abbdc576310@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> In the spirit of co-processing (GPU+FPU+CPU) I would like to suggest
> that if isn't too much of a trouble, would be great if POV-Ray could
> have a GPU+CPU(CPU included) Identifier (GPU-Z, CPU-Z,etc) to use
> available processing hardware resources to render, *of course* GPU
> helping whenever it can keep with POV-Ray's quality specs and/or "rough
> preview". Makes sense?

If we're talking about using GPU to support regular render, then I guess this is
a no-go: Modifying POV to this effect *would* be too much of a trouble, that's a
definite.

It might be possible to add a dedicated "preview module" though, which could
then make use of different GPU hardware... anyone volunteer for this task?

(Just as a side note, I don't have much hope that there will actually be too
many people screaming "me!" right now; I also think that at the time being,
development effort is better invested in other areas.)