POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU usage : Re: GPU usage Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:50:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU usage
From: clipka
Date: 3 Mar 2009 07:25:00
Message: <web.49ad2031dc9638abbdc576310@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
(<GPU preview>)

Interesting idea. Would be a lot of work to implement though, I guess.

> Another suggestion, what about this:
> a small floating window (maybe 512*384 or 384*288) with the title "rough
> preview" that makes the GPU+FPU+CPU preview of the scene as ral-time as
> possible "while you type" or when you have finished a valid line, this
> could be configurable, but I think would be great as a default.

Great idea, but what if your scene file takes 15 minutes to (re-)parse because
of heavy macro usage? And what if you are working on SDL code designed to write
to files (radiosity samples, photons, or just plain #write output)? I wouldn't
want POV to just start running *such* SDL code while it isn't "ready to rock"
yet.

(Or what if all the changes you want to do is just a few #defines that govern
whether your SDL file *does* #write or instead #read some stuff, in order to
switch from #write to #read mode... don't even want to think about it. Argh!)

No, I think the idea is intriguing, but prohibitive due to the power of POV's
SDL language.