POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. : Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1..
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 Mar 2009 07:20:00
Message: <web.49abce7f47263f826dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> I would backup by data - but what exactly do you back 200GB up onto?
> >> Besides, most of it isn't very valuable data.
> >
> > Most of what I backup is photos. The rest is coding projects, lots of POV, odd
> > documents... As for where to - external HD, of course.
>
> Uhuh. And this second HD is less likely to fail... why, exactly?

Well, I guess some drives fail arbitrarily, but I would think a drive that gets
hammered constantly is more likely to fail than one that just gets one long
write sequence every week.

And, what Scott said.

(okay, so maybe 'paranoiacally frequently' was innaccurate, especially compared
with RAID...:)!)