POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. : Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1..
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 Mar 2009 06:00:01
Message: <web.49abbc0a47263f826dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
>
> > It seems HDDs like to fail after about 2yrs of 12+hr a day use. Boooo!
> Amoung all the computers I've been called on to fix, I can once again
> count the number of drive failures on one hand. (Laptops do seem to fail
> somewhat more often.)

I'm similar; I've never had a HD fail. Run out of space, yes, even stolen, but
no HD I've ever used has ever gone pop. I guess I'm just not a particularly
'high-impact' user...

I back up, of course, paranoiacally frequently. But, touch wood, I've never
needed to restore a backup yet.

(Of course, now I've said that, every drive in my various machines will expire
catastrophically over the next 24 hours)