POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : waving flag with motion-blur : Re: waving flag with motion-blur Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:36:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: waving flag with motion-blur
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Mar 2009 19:55:01
Message: <web.49ab2e359f778990f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> > > The motion blur looks perfect to me. Feels to me like stills from a DVD
> > > typically have even stronger MB.
> >
> > I think that's because they're interlaced, so you see the MB from two
> > different frames at the same time.
>
> Yeah, that makes sense.

And also, I think, because of the "2:3 pulldown" method of transferring 24fps to
30 'fps' video (in the 'States.) The sum total of which probably looks like
additional blur, but only once every 2 (or three?) frames. Interestingly, what
I've read on-line is that DVDs themselves don't incorporate this telecine
'transfer method'--the DVD is recorded at 24 fps, 1:1 with the film speed--but
then the DVD player itself imposes the "2:3" thing, so that the player's output
is compatible with regular television. That was a new discovery for me, and
different from how VCR videotapes used to be transferred.

KW