POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Compile errors with VS 2005 on Windows XP : Re: Compile errors with VS 2005 on Windows XP Server Time
8 Oct 2024 00:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile errors with VS 2005 on Windows XP
From: clipka
Date: 1 Mar 2009 18:00:00
Message: <web.49ab132ab38cce3e2ddf2a340@news.povray.org>
"madiyaan damha" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I am getting the following errors while building the unmodified source code:
>
> 3>------ Build started: Project: vfewin, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
> 3>Compiling...
> 2>octree.cpp
> 3>vfe.cpp
> 3>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\windef.h(56)
> : warning C4005: 'MAX_PATH' : macro redefinition
> 3>..\vfe.cpp(288) : error C2872: 'IStream' : ambiguous symbol
> 3>        could be 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\objidl.h(4444) : IStream'
> 3>        or 'c:\work\povwin-src-3.7\source\base/fileinputoutput.h(189) :
> pov_base::IStream'

You seem to be doing something strange. I just tried this with the beta.31
source code freshly downloaded, with the following results:

- no MAX_PATH warning for vfe.cpp (nor any other file)
- no IStream error for vfe.cpp (nor any other file)

In addition, I get vfewin as 2nd, not 3rd, project to be built (building the
povwin project).

Project builds & runs fine.

Some questions that may help find the reason for your trouble:

- Did you ever knowingly install a Platform SDK?

- Exactly what version of Visual Studio are you using?

- What are your environment settings?

- What project do you try to compile?

> I would highly appreciate if someone replies. This is my first post here, so
> please ignore my newbie-ness.

Don't panic - despite all rumors we're *not* eating newbies for breakfast ;)