POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation block...acceleration on the x axis. : Re: Animation block...acceleration on the x axis. Server Time
8 May 2024 03:52:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation block...acceleration on the x axis.
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Feb 2009 18:40:00
Message: <web.49a726dd21b0f15af50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "RC" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Yes, why is it that you can never hold the value of the changed variable unless
> > its just for one particular instance? I find it strange that it seems so
> > difficult to change one variable for speed and have it maintain a constant
> > value throughout any number of frames you wish with the ability to change it at
> > any time without it reverting back to the declared value on the next cycle. I
> > guess you would have to write that value to a separate file and reference it
> > that way?

Yes, one approach that would work.

> The reason is quite simple: POV's animation capabilities are still just
> rudimentary. At the very core, the only support it offers for animation is
> basically rendering a batch of stills described by the same SDL file.

.....yet it's still possible to write some *intriguing* code within the SDL to
'mimic' the missing functionality. I haven't (yet) run across a situation where
I couldn't get the effect I was after. Sometimes it can get quite tricky,
though. (I'm still working on a few paradigms that *aren't quite there* yet.)
For example, one idea is to set up an array, and load the array (during each
and every animation frame) with whatever values you might need for the duration
of the animation (identical values from frame to frame), then use some tricky
frame_number-or-clock-based scheme to pull particular values out, when and
where needed. Kind of a dumb 'brute-force' method, but it works for certain
things.

KW