POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation block...acceleration on the x axis. : Re: Animation block...acceleration on the x axis. Server Time
8 May 2024 15:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation block...acceleration on the x axis.
From: RC
Date: 26 Feb 2009 11:25:00
Message: <web.49a6c25121b0f15ae1acfc5e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> These animation accelleration questions have also intrigued/perplexed me
> recently. I'm just now coming in at the tail-end of the discussion here, and I
> see some good suggestions and explanations, better than what I've come up with
> on my own.
>
> Although not specifically what you're asking for, I did come up with a simple
> way of starting off an animation's CAMERA motion at slow-to-zero speed, ramping
> up to 'full speed' by the mid-point of the animation, then ramping back down to
> slow-to-zero at the end:
>
> #if(clock <= .5)
> #declare my_clock = 1/2*pow(2*clock,2);
> #else
> #declare my_clock = 1 - 1/2*pow(2*(1 - clock),2);
> #end
>
> then just plug my_clock into your camera motions, with some appropriate
> multiplier(s). This could be used for an object's motion instead. The exponent
> in the pow() equations can be varied, and things will still come out right-- as
> far as I've been able to determine, anyway. However, with this simple scheme,
> there is never a point when the camera is moving at a constant speed; it's
> always ramping either up or down.
>
> As-is, though, it adds a bit of 'movie realism' to a moving (or panning/tilting)
> camera.
>
> Ken W.

Yes, why is it that you can never hold the value of the changed variable unless
its just for one particular instance? I find it strange that it seems so
difficult to change one variable for speed and have it maintain a constant
value throughout any number of frames you wish with the ability to change it at
any time without it reverting back to the declared value on the next cycle. I
guess you would have to write that value to a separate file and reference it
that way?