POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange normal mangling issue : Re: Strange normal mangling issue Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange normal mangling issue
From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2009 15:30:01
Message: <web.49a5a976b967aba2c87a9d90@news.povray.org>
"HadleyRille" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/aptera_pov_render.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/lores_aptera4.png
>
> It sure looks like the normals are getting mangled, but it renders fine for me.

"Mangled" is quite an understatement for *this* one...!

Check your auto-generated mesh2 object for number format issues (especially
decimal point vs. decimal comma, but also any other peculiarities). Maybe
Poseray did a lousy job there (using locale instead of forcing decimal point?),
and maybe the windows version of POV is more robust against that issue (possibly
using a compiler-dependent number parsing lib).

Did your friend use the same Poseray export, or did he export it again himself?