POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange normal mangling issue : Strange normal mangling issue Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:49 EDT (-0400)
  Strange normal mangling issue
From: HadleyRille
Date: 25 Feb 2009 13:25:01
Message: <web.49a58c5bb203a2a6483613820@news.povray.org>
I have a friend who's using POV-Ray to render a model I built for her.  I used
Poseray to convert it from a lwo to a POV scene.  I tested it, and was able to
get this using POV 3.6.1c under WindowsXP:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/aptera_pov_render.jpg

My friend takes the same scene, renders it using POV 3.6.1 under Linux, and gets
this:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/lores_aptera4.png

It sure looks like the normals are getting mangled, but it renders fine for me.
I expect that this is some issue with the linux build, but she claims to have
rendered many POV scenes including mesh objects and hasn't seen this issue
before.  The only difference here is that the model came from Poseray.  Any
thoughts about what might be going on, or what we might try to fix it?

Thank!