POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The place is falling apart : Re: The place is falling apart Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The place is falling apart
From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2009 09:40:00
Message: <web.49a557795864dd28bdc576310@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, a company's share price is an arbitrary number
> decided by a bunch of people who know nothing about the company in
> question. In other words, it's not actually possible to control share
> prices; they just vary at random. In particular, a share price is in no
> way related to how well a company is or isn't doing.

Well, to *some* degree it *is* related.

However, various other factors - lots of them psychological issues - seen to be
mixing in.

Overall, it seems to be mostly related to how well a company *seems* to be
doing.

Or, more specifically, how stock traders expect other stock traders to percieve
the company to be doing.

Or, well, maybe, how stock traders expect other stock traders to expect other
stock traders to... uh, well, I guess you get the point.

In the end, it's probably all about a company's well-doing, distorted - possibly
beyond recognition - by a freakin' feedback loop.

> Most specifically, raising your share price doesn't stop you from going
> into liquidation. :-P I would have thought keeping the company trading
> would be a far, *far* more important target than raising some arbitrary
> number that nobody actually cares about. But what do I know?

As long as the company's shares soar, there's always someone willing to buy the
whole smash if it goes into liquidation...

.... maybe that's what some people are actually speculating for.

We're no longer living in a capitalistic world - we're living in a
shareholderistic world, as it seems...