POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who says .NET is slow...? : Re: Who says .NET is slow...? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who says .NET is slow...?
From: nemesis
Date: 24 Feb 2009 12:40:00
Message: <web.49a42fc5dc029704a509ca6e0@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > Mike Raiford wrote:
> >> Wow... are you running Vista, by any chance..? On my WinXP machine, I
> >> was getting about 20fps..
> >
> > I'm running it via Mono, on Linux.
> >

> Did you paste the code, or did you run the executable?
>
> Mono has come a long way, then, last time I messed with it, there was no
> support for Windows Forms.
>
> I guess that lends credence to Andrew said about mono being slower than
> even Haskell.
>
> Though, I wonder where the bottleneck could be... Does Mono use JIT, or
> is it simply interpreting the bytecode?

It's JIT, if it was interpreting bytecodes it should be as slow as python.
Howver, System.Drawing must be doing it by translating into respective X or GL
calls or, worse, into GDK calls which in turn get into X or GL calls.  I'm sure
the mono guys aren't that dumb and are writing directly for GL though.  Still,
perhaps the native Windows drawing routines are much faster.

I got my 4 cores crunching at it and it seems to go at a good clip as far as
lava-like things move...