POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline parameters : Re: Spline parameters Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline parameters
From: twister
Date: 24 Feb 2009 09:30:00
Message: <web.49a40439cf14bf60c9ee64130@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> These are fairly arbitrary values that you can think of in a number of
> different ways. It's like a 4th dimension that you can use to index how far
> through the spline you are, but you can really choose what you consider this
> index to represent.

To be honest I cannot say these values are arbitrary ones because they have
strong impact on the spline shape. Besides, following spline is wrong and
povray returns an error: "Parse Error: Degenerate cylinder, base point = apex
point." It means I cannot define these values in whatever manner I like.

#declare mySpline = spline {
 quadratic_spline
 1, <0,0,0>,
 2, <1,1,0>,
 3, <2,1,0>,

}

> The help suggests thinking of it as time, which is handy when you do
> animations. I usually set it so that the first physical point on the spline
> starts at 0 and the last point ends at 1. This means that in animations it's
> easy to use it with the clock variable to step along the spline in equally
> sized time slices.

I can think of these values as a "timestamps", but they shouldn't change the
spline shape!

?

> Any help?

Still confused...