POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blob/bounding box issues : Re: Blob/bounding box issues Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob/bounding box issues
From: Bridgeofstraws
Date: 22 Feb 2009 20:50:00
Message: <web.49a2001f783ea6738ce5254b0@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a snow/icicle macro currently, and due to certain issues
> that I have faced, my code has forked....which is not at all what I desire.
>
> I have three problems. Two have been solved individually by the fork, but
> must be integrated to be truly considered "resolved". The third, I haven't
> any clue how to approach. I shall elucidate:
>
> 1) Icicles not "blobbing" together (solved in SnowTest_2)
>     The solution to this problem required that I estimate the size of the
> bounding   box resulting from the application of snow to an object X...but
> resulted in initial blob placement insufficiencies.
>
> 2) Initial blob placement errors (solved in SnowTest_3)
>     The solution to this issue required the actual min/max extents of first
> the initial object, and secondly of the union of the snowed on object and
> the snow. This resulted in the inability to blob the icicles together as
> found in nature.
>
> 3) Blobbing of the snow *and* the icicles. This is unresolved.
>
> What I am left with, are essentially two issues:
> A) How to integrate SnowTest_2 and SnowTest_3 so that the icicles both blob
> together AND are positioned accurately, to be used in the solution to (B)
> B) How to blob (A) with the initial snow.
>
> As is, the parse time for my snow macro *with* icicles is 1 second in one
> method, and slightly longer in the second.
>
> I know that I am so close to the solution that it hurts, but I've been
> looking at it so long I can't see the forest for the trees.
>
> I will post the source files required to evaluate this issue in p.b.s-f
> (same thread name), and successful contributors to the unified resolution of
> these issues shall be credited in the final release....I'm almost there! :-D
>
> To those who wish to assist, please comment any references to SnowTex0 and
> Ice2 and uncomment the vector pigments within the snowTest and icicleTest
> macros, to avoid long renders. I have included the snow texture include
> file, just for S's and G's.
>
> many thanks,
> ian

Just an idea but would it be possible to make an array containing the positions
of the blobs for the icicles and the snow.  Then using this array make a single
blob using all of these positions.  I`m afraid I didn`t look at the code yet so
if this makes absolutely no sense, please forgive me.

Bridgeofstraws