POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light Diffusion : Re: Light Diffusion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Diffusion
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Feb 2009 20:05:00
Message: <web.49a0a419231b2f5ff50167bc0@news.povray.org>
CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
ferent colors and diffusion sheets can be placed in.

> The whole body and lenses assembly basically focuses the light into
> exactly what at spotlight in povray does (with cosine focus, field angle
> and beam angle, etc), and placing a diffusion sheet in front of the
> lenses makes the whole light spread out more. The only real difference
> between what I'm doing with a 'diffusion sheet' in front of the
> spotlight source and the real instrument is that the real instrument
> isn't completely in focus at that point, while the spotlight source
> always is.

I see now what you mean. I have a good visual image of your problem, because I
do volunteer lighting at a local community theater. The 'beam spread' is spread
out and very fuzzy, almost non-distinct, when a diffusion gel or two is placed
in front of the light. It's almost as if there are *two* spotlights--one with a
fuzzy though not-too-spread out beam, the other with a much wider and fuzzier
beam. Yours is a good question (I wish I had an answer for you at present.)
I'll be curious to know what is suggested here, because I'd like to plug it
into my own POV-Ray 'theater lighting' scene, which I use from time to time.

Ken W.