POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light Diffusion : Light Diffusion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Light Diffusion
From: cshake
Date: 20 Feb 2009 21:10:00
Message: <web.499f61f21bee921065ab59cc0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to figure out what I should use to create diffusion on a spotlight,
similar to filters used in photography and theater.

I don't mean the diffusion function in povray itself, but an effect between the
light source and the target that spreads out the light to create soft edges on
everything. I already understand how to use the radius and falloff in a
spotlight source, but all my attempts so far in making a diffusion filter have
turned out badly.

I've experimented with using a thin glass-textured plate in the light beam and
using photon refraction effects, with varying the thickness of the object to
get more and less diffusion. I found that there seems to be a cutoff
thickness where it either doesn't change the light at all, or makes the light
so dull that there is no longer a circular beam even at 4 units away. That
is with changing the intensity of the light to compensate for fading loss.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?