POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Compiler compilation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiler compilation
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Feb 2009 20:55:00
Message: <web.4998c6b9b3a6474749817ca0@news.povray.org>
> I love the way that every now and then, you see a command line that
> starts with "ld" or "ar" and goes on for 3 pages. o_O Pretty crazy! Well
> anyway, after half an hour of compiling the compiler itself, the
> resulting binary is about 30 MB. (The stage-1 compiler is smaller, but
> then it does have several features disabled.)

You could try:
strip -g binary -o new-binary

strip -g strips a binary off of any debugging info it might have.  Or -s to
strip even more possibly useless info on a production binary.  Don't forget the
-o new-binary or it'll strip away and write the stripped binary to the same
file.  You can backup yourself if you're unsure.

stripping generally yields severelly smaller binaries.  That's supposing the
whole build process already didn't perform such step (I think it's standard to
leave the debugging info if you don't provide a -g flag).

> Now, do I dare run the benchmark?

heh, why not? ;)