POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender : Re: Blender Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Feb 2009 20:30:00
Message: <web.4998c146f1240d5549817ca0@news.povray.org>
> Otherwise, it seems pretty straightforward. Altho there are a couple (so
> far) of bothersome limitations, particularly in the textures. (Like, I don't
> know how to do checkerboards or hex shapes or some of the other stuff POV
> has built in, and you can't rotate a texture directly, so your wood rings
> are fixed in one axis - just minor stuff like that).

Much more powerful procedural textures are coming to Blender soon enough,
completely modifiable via the nodes editor as well.  Anyway, most people into
Blender -- and most other 3D apps as well -- simply use image maps, though
being a povhead myself, I never quite adapted to the whole UV-unwrap thing
either.

> I've played with Hash Animation:Master, so most of the concepts (bones,
> strides, texture stacks, etc) are familiar, at least.

Yeah, I've did any animation either.  I'm a still guy.

> I saw one video of a UI idea, where when you're doing drag-and-drop, you can
> peel back the corner of the window you're over to expose the window
> underneath. I think D-a-D is the biggest win with a bigger monitor. :-)

OTOH, I'm pretty happy myself with the newer monitor that came with my new
q6600.  More available screen estate to the sides.  Though I know some people
who simply occupy the whole screen with a single window, because that's the
standard Windoze way. ;)