POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debugging and line numbers : Re: Debugging and line numbers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debugging and line numbers
From: clipka
Date: 10 Feb 2009 17:00:01
Message: <web.4991f808c31877f3797ec15b0@news.povray.org>
> > Sure. I prefer the "INSTALL" documentation of POV though (I'm not so
> > fond of any online help that I have to invoke again and again because it
> > keeps scrolling out of view in my terminal window). Still it doesn't say
> > what *exactly* those compiler flags do; for example, can *you* tell me
> > what *exactly* the "--enable-debug" flag does? I give you a hint: It
> > does *not* seem to enable line number information in the executable.
>
> Pipe the output through less.  :-)

You didn't get my point: I'm more into hypertext online helps in a dedicated
window, not something that goes on in a standard terminal window.

Well, maybe Linux people can't understand why anybody would have such
preferences, but... well, there *is* something intuitive about having different
things look different on the desktop...

> I don't have the povray source on my system at the moment, so no, I
> probably couldn't tell you what --enable-debug does in povray's configure
> script.
>
> You could always run the configure script with and without the switch and
> diff the makefiles....That's how I'd do it rather than trying to sort
> through bash scripting (since that's not my strong suit).

And here you got it again what my whole lamenting is about: Finding out how to
get line numbers out of a core dump or valgrind run seems to boil down to a
detective's job, and I don't have the time nor patience to do it.