POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Latest animation -- "Larry's Last Ride" : Re: Latest animation -- "Larry's Last Ride" Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Latest animation -- "Larry's Last Ride"
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Feb 2009 14:35:01
Message: <web.498b3d1fa0d736a7f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Dan Byers" <goofygraffix_at_geemail_dot_com> wrote:

> Thanks for the compliment :)  Yeah, you wouldn't normally think of using POV to
> make 2-D, traditional 'cel' animations, but it's such a versatile program that
> it can do it fairly easily.  All I'm doing is creating polygons for each 'cel'
> layer, and a #switch( frame_number ) block to assign an appropriate image_map
> as a texture for each polygon:

Thanks for the great tips; very much appreciated. I've lately been looking at
#switch #case #break for my own animations, but in all my years of POV'ing,
I've never actually used them very much at all. Don't ask me why, I have no
good excuse.  :-(   Now I see their usefulness.

> global_settings {
>   max_trace_level 20 // the more layers, the higher this number should be...
>                      // for animatics reels, 5 or 8 is fine
>   assumed_gamma 1.0  // VERY IMPORTANT!!!
> }

Something I've noticed about .png images is that, IF they have an embedded gamma
of 1.0, they seem to show up OK across a 'range' of POV's assumed_gamma values.
I once tried an experiment of varying assumed_gamma from .5 up to 3.0, and,
within a *certain* range, a .png image still looked good, almost identical. Not
near the extremes, though.  So the image does seem to be 'in love with' a
certain assumed_gamma value...probably 1.0, as you say. (I generally use 2.0
for all my scenes, for my own reasons, and the .png image looks the way it
should, to my eyes; but I'll re-experiment with that.)

KW