POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: stevenvh
Date: 5 Feb 2009 08:35:00
Message: <web.498aeab84590b7f0c0721a1d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> It's 20 lightyears away from HERE.
>
> A planet orbiting it's sun at a 20 lightyears radius would need to have an
> extra-galactic sun, or get snatched away by nearby stars. Such a planet would
> also be frozen solid, with, maybe, sone seas of liguid hydrogen and helium. It's
> "year" would last several 100's of millenias.

Just for fun, I made the calculation for a star with the same mass as the sun:
following Kepler's thrid law the planet would orbit the star once every 1.4
billion years at a speed of 26 m/s (95 km/h), which IMO is still surprisingly
fast, about 1/1000 of the speed of earth.
Like you said it would have to be a solitary star, but that shouldn't be a
problem, there's a lot of space out there. Pun intended :-)