POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Worst read ever : Re: Worst read ever Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Worst read ever
From: triple r
Date: 2 Feb 2009 12:10:00
Message: <web.4987288f6b132a81ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I wasted about a week reading this book. If any of you have the change
> to read it... don't bother. Seriously.

Too late for me, but to help recoup your losses, there's some information on the
subject that is worth reading/watching.  In 2005, Kitzmiller v. Dover Area
School District trial in Pennsylvania ruled on whether a statement providing ID
as an alternative to evolution should be read in science classes.  For whatever
it's worth (and the value is debatable), they determined that, legally
speaking, ID is not science.  There's even a great NOVA special, complete with
reenactments!  It's actually quite remarkable how they uncovered the motives
behind textbook editing and donations.  Behe was a witness at the trial, and,
well, the judge says it best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/program.html
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District/2:Context#Page_28_of_139
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District/4:Whether_ID_Is_Science#Page_79_of_139

I'll go with my judgement and avoid saying anything too pungent on the issue,
but I think it's safe to say that now, thirteen years after he wrote the book,
the ID movement seems to have been exposed as a thinly disguised rehashing of
creationism.  I'll let you draw your own conclusions regarding the Discovery
Institute's leaked "Wedge Document."

http://ncseweb.org/creationism/general/wedge-document

 - Ricky