POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : beta 3.7 multicore feature automatic or requires code? : Re: beta 3.7 multicore feature automatic or requires code? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beta 3.7 multicore feature automatic or requires code?
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2009 13:35:00
Message: <web.4985ea4ad1616b68f8450bd80@news.povray.org>
"societyofrobots" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is it automatically handled in the background, meaning v3.6 code will see a
> speed up if run in v3.7? Or do I need to modify the code first to take
> advantage of the feature?

No need to change your scenes - at least not for the speedup part. There are
other changes that might require you to make (minor) modifications to your
scenes (e.g. gamma handling).

POV scales quite well with number of CPU cores, so your scenes will typically
render in e.g. about half the time on a dual-core machine, or quarter of the
time on a quad-core machine.

Other changes have been made to the code, however, that seem to impact the speed
both for the better or for the worse, depending on your scene. Still, expect to
see an overall speed increase.

Be warned that radiosity in 3.7.0.beta.30 is almost unusable in any but the
simplest scenes, due to a number of bugs; radiosity support in
3.7.0.beta.30-rad1 (a radiosity update to the beta.30) is much better regarding
quality, but seems to be just as unusable in practice due to some speed issues
I'm currently trying to track down and fix, except for scenes with a
recursion_depth of 1.