POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous : Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous Server Time
14 May 2024 14:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Jan 2009 05:40:00
Message: <web.498035ec13a704f8d1c19f60@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> The FSF is quite draconian in their policies.  In fact, the latest
> efforts seem to be just as DRM infected as any closed system.

Except freedoms are preserved rather than taken away.  You're still free to use
it in *any way* you want.  And if you want to modify it for yourself or your
organization.  You just have to comply to the GPL way if you later want to ship
that modified work, in which case the GPL is enforced so that you don't deny
others the same rights the GPL offered you.  Fair enough.

I understand all this backslash against GPL is pretty much the same all
successful things get one time in the height of their lifes, like Seinfeld or
Pixar.