POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mythical stomach : Re: Mythical stomach Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mythical stomach
From: clipka
Date: 27 Jan 2009 13:40:00
Message: <web.497f541820b14dd6971e62b30@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The power of suggestion? ;)

Hm... why should I suggest that to myself? AFAIR "Fresh baked bread is bad" was
never a call in my childhood (different thing with fresh dough, and fresh baked
cake IIRC), and I never bothered about such issues until I recently found a
source for *very* delicious *very* fresh bread (I don't know how they do it,
but *always* when I come to buy that bread it seems to be fresh from the oven,
regardless of time of day).

> Here in Brazil there is a myth that eating a mango and drinking milk is
> a poisonous combination.  Certainly weird, but poisonous? :P

There are certainly some traditions about not-so-good food combinations that
have a bit of truth in them. For example, fresh fruit and lots of water can
cause stomach ache because the fruit may (well, actually always *will*) carry
germs, which are normally killed by the acidic environment in the stomach, but
may survive if the acid is diluted too much.

Mango and milk may be a similar combo: Dairy products, as far as I know, are
even better at reducing the "acid level" in the stomach. (Ever had reflux after
having drunken lots of milk, or eaten lots of cheese? No heartburn involved at
all.)

Of course, "poisonous" is probably somewhat far-fetched...