POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : WIndows 7 multi-core operation : Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation Server Time
30 Apr 2024 15:07:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation
From: JayWiz
Date: 26 Jan 2009 07:00:00
Message: <web.497da526835cc853db9c0890@news.povray.org>
> JayWiz wrote:
> > I installed POVRay 3.7 Beta 30 on a Windows 7 Beta and the benchmark (all cores)
> > runs well. All other traces run with a single thread. I have checked and the
> > thread setting is at 4. Is this Windows or just the POVRay install...
>
> this is interesting. what does the messages pane say at at startup about
> the CPU? Just after the message about it being a time-limited beta test,
> there is another section mentioning the tools menu and the CPU. For example:
>
>   Loaded 8 tools into Tool Menu.
>   Detected 2 CPU's providing 8 physical cores and 8 logical ones.
>
> I would like to know the latter for your install.
>
> (Also, what information are you using to determine the traces run with a
> single thread? Observation of CPU load, or some other data?)
>
> -- Chris

It does not show number of cores found. just this:
--------------------
Loaded 8 tools into Tool Menu
THe thread count in the message window is what I was using, but I also installed
a gadget that showed core activity. The first day I ran it, it showed running on
1 thread on the message pane. When it rendered this morning, it ran on 4 threads
(a seperate gadget showed all four cores running this time). The render was also
a few seconds slower. (259 vs 254). Just so all information is there, I am
running 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and POVRay.

Off topic... POVRay login screen doesn't seem to like AOL software. Had to use
IE to post this message (couldn't login).

Jay