POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn! : Re: Damn! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn!
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2009 21:40:01
Message: <web.497d2270f0e84c4063cb5da50@news.povray.org>
> Thinking on it, tho, NTFS has all kinds of features that something like a
> camera wouldn't want, like ACLs, ownership of files, compression,
> encryption, etc etc etc.  A good reason not to use it, I guess.

There are more good reasons to use FAT:

- NTFS is optimized for fixed media; FAT was *designed* with removable media in
mind. (Note that a file system is more than the data structures on disk; it
also includes some protocol of how to update them.)

- Flash media internally typically use their own specialized file system anyway,
to perform load balancing and bad block management. FAT is easy enough to
implement a mapping to the flash file system in reasonably simple hardware.