POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jan 2009 08:15:01
Message: <web.497b137dc995525d44fa40c50@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> BTW, has any of you guys ever witnessed the Milky Way by your own eyes?  I did
> as a pre-teen, one of the most amazing moments in my life, no doubt.

I fancy I did when I was a child - although I can't remember being able to make
out any stars, just a blurry band. Maybe that was because I've been
short-sighted ever since I can remember.

I grew up in a rather small town in a hilly region, spread across multiple
valleys, in a smaller side valley not too close to the town centers, so the air
was very clean, and not too many light sources nearby late at night. Occasionaly
our dad (a teacher) would take us out on a night barbecue with his pupils in an
even more remote spot in the woods around. We also did a few camping vacations
in different European contries (UK, France and Italy), and later took trips
once or twice a year to sparsely populated seaside regions, where we'd often go
for walks after dark.

I loved the stars, and particularly the moon, and looking up at the night sky. I
still enjoy looking up on a clear night when I'm far from the big city I live
in, and marvel in some kind of surprise once again how clear a starry night can
be!

(Unfortunately, nothing so clear though as to identify the milky way as a mass
of stars. Or maybe my glasses just aren't good enough for that.)