POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface help : Re: Isosurface help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface help
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Jan 2009 10:30:01
Message: <web.4979e179fb628f71f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

> First: Eliminate the Threshold value by subtracting 1 in the function {}
>         function {P(x*2,y*(1.05-y/6),z*2) -1}

Hi, Mike...

I was wondering about the reason for that, in functions P1 and P2. I see that
it's a kind of alternate way to create 'smoothe transits' between the two
spheres; but I'm curious if it has some added benefit that the docs' version
doesn't (speaking from sheer lack of understanding on my part.) The docs'
version produces a final composite object that does look a bit different from
yours--a smaller main sphere--but I can adjust that by making its radius
larger. Can you clue me in on why you've used an alternate technique? I'm most
curious! :-)

While we're on this topic: Something else I don't quite understand is why
*either* technique requires such a high max_gradient, when the resulting object
is just a smooth shape with no *apparent* sharp indents or other
difficult-to-evaluate slopes.

And would max_gradient's 'evaluate' be better to use on such composite
functions?

BTW, I too have learned *much* from your tutorials; what a great resource!

Ken W.