POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jan 2009 05:15:00
Message: <web.497997e2c995525d9a7aaf540@news.povray.org>
> Let's say the outside observer measures the slow-down of the clock and
> calculates that the victim's clock will read 1PM at the moment the victim
> crosses the EH.  Will the victim ever experience 1:01PM?  What will the rest
> of the universe look like when the victim experiences 1:01PM? If the
> victim's clock actually stops with respect to the outside universe, the
> entire universe will age and disappear (or big crunch) before the clock
> reads 1:01PM, yes?

It seems to boil down to that, yes.

> >> (Discounting the black holes that have paths to the singularity that don't
> >> cross an EH, of course.)
> >
> > How could that be?
>
> Rotating highly charged black holes that don't have the same Schwartzchild
> equations. (The Schwartzchild equations only work for non-rotating
> non-charged black holes, methinks.) If you spin the black hole fast enough,
> the equator doesn't have an EH, or the pole doesn't, or something. (I've
> heard speculation that the equations must therefore be wrong.)

Yes, Schwartzschild (an interesting name coincidence, by the way, that someone
whose name translates to "Blackshield" should be the first to discover the
formula for a black hole's event horizon) did his calculations for the most
simple of black holes.

So if there's no EH, you can just zip straight through the singularity? And
actually decide to turn around any time? Speaking of which, how will time be
affected near the singularity?

I think I recall remember having heard that spinning black holes would actually
not have a point-shaped singularity at all, but a loop, because their drag on
spacetime is that extreme.