POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:08:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jan 2009 10:05:01
Message: <web.49788b18c995525dbdc576310@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>   Does the singularity or blackholes even exist or are merely the point
> where GR equations break?

I honestly suspect exactly that... see Achilleus and the turtle: With the wrong
approach, you get the result that the fastest runner can't catch up with the
turtle... while reality proves he can.

In that old greek paradoxon it is rather obvious that it's a problem of a wrong
approach, because the reference system used is far from common sense. However,
with black holes, the reference system picking ever smaller intervals of
distance and time - that of an outside observer - seems more natural at first
glance, so it's not *that* obvious that we might just be using a wrong
approach.

> If we assume blackholes exist, without much evidence so far, how about
> going even further in the imagination?  What if our 4D space-time isn't
> but a section of higher dimensional spaces, like a julia fractal section
> rendered in povray?  Perhaps the blackhole is then just a curve along
> this surface and the poor fellow ends up in another region of
> space-time.  The original outside observer will never see him again,
> unless he goes all the way back through the worm hole...

That description matches quite well what I think is actually happening -
although with a different punchline. That wormhole will take the traveller to
another region of spacetime(!) indeed: Far-away future! The only problem with
it is that it's a one-way ticket: If he enters the wormhole again, he will end
up yet again "someplace later", not back where he started.

> Those greeks philosophers were just full of marijuana.  And pasta.  They
> were first possibly the first thinkers of mankind to think too much on
> far too abstract subjects rather than more mundane and practical
> matters... :P

:) I guess the same goes for Buddhism and the like... but they seem to have
gotten some things astonishingly right. Talk about atoms - the ancient greeks
"invented" them. Talk about the quantum theory question of whether anything
actually exists that is not observed - Zen has been asking that question long
time ago.

But let's get back to more practical matters: I get the munchies now... where's
my pizza? :)