POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: triple r
Date: 20 Jan 2009 14:10:01
Message: <web.497620a6c995525def2b9ba40@news.povray.org>

> I would think that from the outside observer, his time is slowing down even
> while his velocity is increasing.
>
> I find it hard to believe that in falling into a black hole, your velocity
> decreases.

Cheating a little and looking ahead in my textbook, I find the following
sentence regarding the path of a particle falling radially into a black hole:

2/(3*sqrt(2m)) * ( (r_0)^(2/3) - r^(2/3) ) = tau-tau_0

"Looking at this equation, the mysterious surface r=2m makes no appearance.  The
body falls continuously to r=0 in finite proper (inertial) time, in contrast to
the result seen by an outside observer.  In fact, one can say that the entire
evolution of the physical universe has occurred by the time the body passes the
surface r=2m."

In other words, as seen by an outside observer, you reach the event horizon and
sit.  Forever.  As seen by you, on the other hand, you go speeding right on
through like it's not even there.  The surface only has significance for an
observer far away.

 - Ricky