POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Need help with 3.7 Beta : Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jan 2009 13:05:01
Message: <web.497611a74362dd85a8b1e7e60@news.povray.org>

> Sorry for the trivial question but
> - I've tried ot used assumed_gamma 2.2 in the pov file
> - I've tried ot used Display_Gamma=2.2 in the pov file
> - I've tried to add it to the povray command-line "Display_Gamma=2.2"
> - I've tried to add it to the povray command-line "Display_Gamma=2.2
> File_Gamma=2.2" (like in scenes/incdemo/glasses/glass.pov)
>
> Without any luck.

Please be more specific:
(1) What is your actual problem?
(2) Are we talking about preview, or file output?
(3) If file output, what file type?

All these play a role; (1) because it determines what your gamma settings should
be; (2) because it determines which INI option to use; and (3) because the
actual output file gamma handling is done in the file-format-specific modules,
so problems may be specific to the file type you choose.

In addition, the behavior depends on which "#version" you choose in the scene
file.

> I've also searched the source code for it but so far i'm not expert in using the
> defaults, but the changelog mentions "Added "File_Gamma" INI option" which i
> have not found at the moment.
>
> Any hint?

All command line / INI options are defined in "processrenderoptions.cpp"; you
will find "Display_Gamma" there between "Display" and "Draw_Vistas", and
"File_Gamma" between "Field_Render" and "Final_Clock".

The values are read in using a framework; you will find references to the
"kPOVAttrib_XYZ" identifiers - e.g. "kPOVAttrib_DisplayGamma" and
"kPOVAttrib_FileGamma" - in the code actually evaluating these (in this case a
template in "renderfrontend.h"); from there, dig up the road to modules such as
png.cpp...