POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: triple r
Date: 19 Jan 2009 21:25:00
Message: <web.497535a6c995525def2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I'm a complete layman on the subject and the GR equations go *well* over
> my head. The Schwarzschild solution to those equations goes even more
> beyond my comprehension, so everything I know about the subject is from
> reading things put into layman terms.

I think we all have to agree on this point.  I pretty much stopped reading these
layman's explanations on topics like relativity and quantum mechanics, figuring
that all the effort would be better spent learning the real thing.  I picked up
a textbook on the subject a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten far enough to
say anything more intelligent.  Here's an interesting set of notes, though:
http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/  It has a pretty neat explanation of
the Lorentz transformations, but it takes a bit more effort to dig into GR.

 - Ricky